An Introduction to Nutritional Balancing Science and Hair Tissue Mineral Analysis
By Matthew Russell LaBarre, Nutritional Balancing Practitioner
Since 2014 I have been on a Nutritional Balancing program that was designed for me specifically based on my tissue mineral levels from a simple-to-collect hair sample.
Despite being into health all of my adult life starting in my mid-teens and thinking that I was in the best health I could possibly be in my experience with Nutritional Balancing and Hair Tissue Mineral Testing has proved otherwise. I began for instance to take vitamins and minerals in my mid-teens about the same time I began to exercise regularly. Despite 20+ years of taking these expensive supplements to my diet and eating an organic diet of healthy food I was incredibly deficient as seen on my hair test. I will show you the evidence of this later in this article.
After dramatic health changes took place from being on this program I became a Nutritional Balancing Practitioner in 2016 so I can help others to change their health dramatically as well. The insights are just far too profound. I realize now it should be the bare minimum we know about our bodies and instead for some reason it is rarely known.
I originally discovered Nutritional Balancing many years prior to 2014. The concepts were challenging to me personally at the time as I was a vegan and this was a system that used animal products to heal. This system also did not use what I considered advanced practices like fasting or herbs or any of the superfoods and supplements that I believed were at the cutting edge of health. Because of all this and a well established belief in my own knowledge at the time I rejected it completely despite not giving it a chance. I realize now I should have at least just been curious and had the test done anyway.
When I finally had my hair tested and realized that 15+ years of being an organic vegan and 20+ years of spending a hefty amount on supplements I had not put my body in an ideal state. I was far from it actually.
According to my hair test my body was copper-toxic, a highly estrogenic state that contributes to water retention, weight gain, low libido; my calcium levels were extremely high which indicated biounavialability and was the explanation for muscle and joint pain and stiffness, feelings of depression, tension; I also had a number of toxic metal indicators. The hair test also indicated that my metabolism had slowed down significantly; I was adrenal fatigue and my thyroid was not doing well enough to maintain the weakened adrenals. I was in bad shape and I knew it but I was doing everything right based on my education and research. I was willing to be open however so I took the plunge into Nutritional Balancing and I have not looked back even changing my diet to a non-vegetarian.
Every 6 months since my hair retests have continuous confirm that my body is changing towards more and more positive states of health. It is scientific and precise. And the program changes as the body changes. I feel the best I believe I have ever felt in my life. It is clear to me now that even as a child I was quite unhealthy and toxic.
In this article, I hope to provide an introduction into Nutritional Balancing and to not be too theoretical I will share my test results to see an example to facilitate understanding and progression of the results based on the program. I hope you the reader will approach it with some open curiosity even perhaps the possibility of synchronicity.
What is Nutritional Balancing?
Nutritional Balancing, simply stated is an advanced dietary, supplement and lifestyle program that is designed based on the results of an individual’s macro and micro mineral levels as seen on a Hair Tissue Mineral Analysis.
As a Nutritional Balancing Practitioner, I practice under Dr. Lawrence Wilson who has carried on the work of his mentor Dr. Paul Eck who was the founder of Nutritional Balancing and Analytical Research Laboratories that does the hair testing.
Dr. Wilson reviews each hair test results with his Approved Practitioners and helps to design the Nutritional Balancing program.
A more detailed description of Nutritional Balancing from Dr. Wilson taken from his website (www.drlwilson.com):
“Nutritional balancing is a sophisticated, integrated system for healing the body at a very deep level. It is about 45 years old, and it uses principles from both ancient and modern healing arts to drastically increase the vitality level of the body.
It employs modern theories such as the stress theory of disease, metabolic typing, cybernetics, holography, fractal mathematics, chaos theory, biological transmutation of the elements, and other physics and engineering concepts. These are combined with up-to-date Western medical physiology and biochemistry.”
Nutritional Balancing does not focus on symptoms but instead on the foundation of the state of health which is related to energy production. The hair testing used gives indication about how the body is using the building blocks of tissue (minerals) successfully or unsuccessfully. Health is related to proper utilization of these basic building blocks. When health under this understanding exists or is reestablished the symptoms of dis-ease disappear. Hair testing reveals the deeper causes of symptomatic illness and can even show up in the hair as ratio imbalances even before symptoms occur.
What Is a Hair Tissue Mineral Analysis?
Hair Tissue Mineral Analysis or HTMA used in Nutritional Balancing science is conducted by Analytic Research Laboratories (ARL) that was founded by Dr. Lawrence Wilson’s predecessor Dr. Paul Eck in 1974. ARL’s website (www.arltma.com) has this to say about HTMA:
“Providing a mineral blueprint of one’s biochemistry, a hair tissue mineral analysis can provide pertinent information about one’s metabolic rate, energy levels, sugar and carbohydrate tolerance, stage of stress, immune system and glandular activity.
A hair tissue mineral analysis performed by Analytical Research Labs, Inc., is a screening test for the level of 20 minerals and toxic metals in a sample of hair. It is a tissue mineral biopsy that is non-invasive, relatively inexpensive and extremely accurate. Our laboratory uses only the most advanced and sophisticated instrumentation available today, the Perkin Elmer Elan 9000 ICP Mass Spectrometer to assess mineral levels in parts per million or parts per billion.
A hair tissue mineral analysis is considered a standard test used around the world for the biological monitoring of trace elements and toxic metals in humans and animals species. The same technology is used for soil testing and testing of rock samples to detect mineral levels.”
Simply stated a HTMA measures mineral levels in the hair. These levels and their relationship to each other illuminate the bodies state of health. There major indications from these levels and their ratios are as follows;
- Oxidation Rate (metabolic functioning): This is the overall strength and activity of the metabolism. One is typically either a fast or slow oxidizer. There are many significant differences in these two but one major difference is the need for different types of diet. A slow oxidizer requires a higher percentage of carbohydrates, protein and little to no fat. A fast oxidizer requires a low percentage of carbohydrates and protein and a high amount of fat. Eating the wrong diet for one’s metabolic state can cause numerous problems. One obvious example is weight gain. Knowing this one thing alone can be life changing. This is clearly shown at the bottom of the hair test result chart although there are many calculations and considerations taken to determine as well as factors in designing a program for changing it.
- Individual Major & Minor Mineral Levels: These individual levels clearly demonstrate the different major and minor minerals that shows deficiencies and excesses. These are significant on their own but even more important is the ratios between the minerals.
- Blood Sugar or Lifestyle Ratio (Ca/Mg): This ratio shows how the body is making use of carbohydrates and sugars. A high ratio can indicate too many carbohydrates and sugars or the wrong kind (simple vs complex). It also shows the causes of hypo and hyper glycemia. When this ratio is off the blood sugar will not stabilize properly as these minerals provide the buffer to do that at the appropriate time. Too high or low and the reaction will not be proper nor productive. Slow oxidizers tend toward a higher ratio than fast oxidizers.
- Thyroid Ratio (Ca/K): This ratio shows the thyroid activity. Like the other ratios being out of the normal range is considered to be a negative. Too high is typically related to adrenal insufficiency and may indicate adrenal fatigue. Since the thyroid is a major factor in the metabolism too low is also not good.
- Adrenal Ratio (Na/Mg): This ratio shows the functioning of the adrenal glands. Lower functioning is typical in slow oxidizers. This is the first ratio to become depleted over time from stress. When this happens the thyroid for a time increases output to make up the difference until it too becomes depleted. Slow oxidizers tend toward this.
- Vitality Ratio (Na/K): This ratio shows the overall vitality as well as the strength and activity of the sympathetic nervous system. Slow oxidizers tend toward a lower vitality and a lower ratio. Except those that abuse their nervous system through stimulants and intense and aggressive attitudes toward work and lifestyle. This can indicate say exercising too much or too aggressively which can lead to more problems in the metabolic functioning. This is why some people can exercise regularly and not lose weight.
- Presence of Toxic Metals: Finally the measurement of toxic metals is found in individual readings however these too have a relationship to the other levels. Almost everyone has some degree of toxic metals as they are abundant in our environment today. A test showing a low score may indicate hidden metals that the body cannot process. This is especially true with slow oxidizers. In retests after being on a Nutritional Balancing program we will see these levels rise over time as the body releases these deep seated toxic metals come out of the body with the increasing of the metabolic functioning.
This may be most clearly understood by seeing an example of the results. One of the innovations by Dr. Paul Eck was the creation of a graphic chart to demonstrate these levels. I present my first hair test below from 2014 along with my most recent from earlier this year that follows.
My Initial Hair Test (6/2014)
There is a significant amount of information contained in this test but I will focus on the main insights as noted previously.
- Oxidation Rate – One thing to notice is at the bottom that I have the majority of ratios within the slow oxidizer range (five out six). Being a slow oxidizer indicates a lowered metabolic function. This alone is a major insight to be had. Slow oxidizers need a higher ratio of carbohydrates in their diet and little to no fat. Fat will decrease the already slower metabolic rate. This also indicates a tendency towards weight gain, constipation, retention of heavy minerals and metals (especially toxic) just to name a few. Slow oxidizers are given certain supplements and minerals to increase the metabolic rate and help the body detoxify.
- Individual Major and Minor Mineral Levels – Also clearly noticeable are many deficient minerals. Keep in mind that I took vitamins and minerals as supplements for 20+ years and yet I was still drastically depleted.
- Cleary noticeable is calcium is literally “off the chart”. A calcium level this high shows biounavailable calcium and possibly some toxic forms as well. High calcium is a tendency towards detachment, depression, weight gain, arthritic conditions, muscle tension, irritability and brain fog.
- Blood Sugar Ratio – This ratio is high indicating too many carbohydrates in the diet and a tendency towards hypoglycemia which I suffered from all of my life.
- Thyroid Ratio – This ratio is VERY high indicating my thyroid was overworking to keep the metabolism up. This is a sign of diminished adrenal functioning. I suspected for quite some time that my adrenals were not functioning properly.
- Adrenal Ratio – This ratio is very low and reflects what the thyroid ratio is also showing. This further indicates the body is an advanced and fatigued state of stress. Despite numerous tests from various practitioners and doctors over the years I never received a clear indication of adrenal fatigue until this hair test. Despite not receiving a clear understanding I was treated in numerous ways all that lead to no significant changes as Nutritional Balancing has.
- Vitality Ratio – This ratio is high but this is not a good indication but one that demonstrates the overuse of sympathetic nervous system (fight or flight system). This is often out of necessity to “get things done” which eventually leads to adrenal fatigue. This was indicative of my tendency to overexert with exercise all of which I felt I needed to do to maintain my body weight. I was in what is called Sympathetic Dominance. I did not come out of this state for over a year of being on the program designed for me. Interestingly in 2014 I stopped exercising completely except for daily near infrared sauna and gentle walking. I am in the best physical shape of my life without exercise.
- Toxic Metals – My first test showed the presence of a few but relatively low. Based on the rest of test it was clear that I had hidden toxic metals. I have seen these levels rise and fall as my metabolism has improved. I am have also experienced the effect of these metals coming out of me from feelings of being drugged, to strange smells and even rashes and inflammation. They pass typically in a few days along with a refreshing new sense of health.
My Most Recent Hair Test (5/2017)
- Oxidation Rate – I am still a slow oxidizer but the levels have improved dramatically. There are only three ratios now within the slow oxidizer range (almost two!).
- Individual Major and Minor Mineral Levels – My magnesium has risen which is a good thing when it happens temporarily like this. It indicates deep healing. Along with it comes muscle relaxation and less stress.
- Other things to notice are that all of the other minerals have risen and are approaching ideal ranges. This is an incredible indicator of the success of this program and health improvement in general which is obvious to myself and others. I have the least amount of body fat and the most amount of muscle I have ever had without any effort (besides the program). The supplements I take now are significantly less in cost and amount than what I used to take.
- My calcium has decreased dramatically and have come out of what was called a Calcium Shell which is a type of armoring to protect oneself mentally and emotionally. I feel significantly more alive and able to feel.
- Blood Sugar Ratio – This ratio has improved dramatically and I no longer have any blood sugar issues.
- Thyroid Ratio – This ratio has had MAJOR improvement. The first focus on this program is on the thyroid. When it has been strengthened and cleansed the program moves onto healing the adrenals.
- Adrenal Ratio – This ratio has not shown improvement yet and this is the current focus of my personal program.
- Vitality Ratio – This ratio has significantly improved and it is evident in my energy levels. Also I am much more calm and relaxed.
- Toxic Metals – These individually go up and down as they should but overall there is an increase which means the body is pushing them out of the storage sites like liver and brain and other glands. The program takes this into account and works to help the body move them out.
Anyone can begin a general Nutritional Balancing program at no charge. It is called the free program and Dr. Wilson maintains a website at www.drlwilson.com that helps one to do this. It is intended as a starter program and focuses mainly on the diet.
A much more powerful complete program involves the testing of one’s hair and a program design by an Approved Practitioner that works under Dr. Wilson as I do. Please contact me at the contact information provided following this article to arrange to begin the process if you are interested in dramatically changing your health.
Diet and Lifestyle
The core of this system of healing depends upon a proper diet and lifestyle. The diet is calculated based on the individual hair test results as discussed already in this article. The diet is primarily of healthy natural foods. Cooked vegetables form the bulk of the diet as well as the use of animal protein.
Lifestyle changes are often required to facilitate deep healing necessary to change the metabolism and strengthen the body enough to rid itself of toxic metals. Stress depletes the body of minerals and causes deterioration of the glands and organs which weaken its natural ability to do so. Learning to take care of oneself and slowing down is another big part of this program.
Nutritional Balancing programs always include a number of simple nutritional supplements to supply basic nutrients. These products are produced by Endo-Met Labs that was founded by Dr. Paul Eck as well. They have been created to achieve the quickest and most beneficial results based on years of testing and verification.
Nutritional Balancing also includes a recommendation of a number of simple at home proceedures. These include near-infrared sauna (NOT far-infrared or traditional saunas) or the use of a red heat lamp bulb, daily coffee enemas for liver and colon detoxification as well as foot reflexology and spinal twisting both to facilitate detoxification.
Finally, one additional practice is a particular mental-training-exercise (a type of meditation) that is very powerful, safe, and simple to do at home. It is non-denominational and is simply an awareness exercise.
I have personally found that when I have made the above supporting procedures a priority particularly the meditation that my retests showed dramatic improvement as did my state of health.
The above together constitute the procedures of Nutritional Balancing. The more one takes them on they more progress one has with this program. Results are seen as evidenced by health and vitality becoming a regular experience. Dr. Wilson states:
“With Nutritional Balancing, healing of symptoms takes place at its own pace, and in its own order. This is quite different than remedy sciences such as drug medicine, herbs, homeopathy and most naturopathy. Results often begin within a few weeks, but may take much longer if sub-clinical conditions need to be corrected first.”
The initial hair testing and program design is $250 for the hair mineral test and a consultation to set up the program properly. This fee includes responding to questions that may arise during the program. The testing needs to be repeated every 4 to 6 months. Retests are $150.
The other major cost is the nutritional supplements, which is typically under $200 monthly for adults and less for children. One can spend less by taking the supplements less often, although results may be slower.
There are group discounts offered when a couple or an entire family take on this exciting challenge together.
A Nutritional Balancing program is not for everyone although they can be with enough courage and willingness to change. They are for those who are serious about their health. The program involves discipline and commitment of time, energy and money as noted above. In the long run, Nutritional Balancing helps to create a unique and individualized program for living your best life. It is not someone else telling you what to do. It is not even what you think you should do. It is what your body is demonstrating. Every 6 months the record of the body is noted again and adjustments are made. Nutritional Balancing is a profound way to heal that leads to an even more profound way to live.
Thank you again for taking the time to read this article. I hope it has provided you the reader with an introduction into this wonderful holistic yet truly modern healing modality. If you are interested in more information I would gladly provide additional resources to help in whatever way I can to start you along the path. Contact me for a free phone consultation to discuss how Nutritional Balancing can possibly help you. Please see contact information below.
About the Author & Contact for More Information
Matthew Russell LaBarre offers Nutritional Balancing and Hair Tissue Mineral Analysis. He can be reached through the calm center wellness center in Endwell that utilizes floating (sensory) deprivation, massage & bodywork, meditation & yoga instruction, energy & sound healing and other modalities. For more information please contact him via the calm center. Email: email@example.com. Phone/text: 607-296-0748. Website: www.thecalmcenter.com.